Monday 28 July 2014

Review: Phobic


Phobic
Phobic by Cortney Pearson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I received a copy of Phobic (The Forbidden Doors #1) from the publisher in return for an honest review.

This book has it all, great plot, great characters and several twists and turns that had me thinking, how the heck did I not see that coming!

The story begins: When I was six years old, I found the man my mother murdered stuffed under a trap door in our kitchen. The smell gave him away.

That alone grabbed my attention but then it follows with: Police swarmed the house, which - uncharacteristically - made no creaking groans of protest at having that many outsiders in it. It was almost like the house knew Mom's secret and wanted her to get caught.

I just had to read on.

Phobic turned out to be a lot better and a lot more than I was expecting. It is both a supernatural tale and a horror/thriller and the story develops at a nice pace, holding your attention the whole time.

The main character Piper is full of depth, you can't help but become attached to her and experience a whole array of emotions as her story unfolds. The house Piper lives in is haunted, it seems to be protecting her, but is it? The house itself doesn't feel like a house, as you read the story it sort of feels like you're reading about another character in the book.

I was impressed with how the story really started to twist and turn, several times throughout the later stages there were moments where I found myself thinking, wow I really didn't see that coming. Then just as I was getting over one twist, there was another one. There were characters that I went from liking and feeling sorry for, to really disliking them and wanting to see them get their just deserts, then after yet another twist, go back to feeling for them again.

I have to say, the fact that this is the authors first novel is impressive, I enjoyed this tale a lot more than I really thought I would. The ending was great, everything wraps up nicely but at the same time it leaves enough room for more and I want more! I'm really looking forwards to the next installment, I'm keen to see where the story goes next.


Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
You can also find me on: BookLikes



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment