Sunday 20 July 2014

Review: Dear Daughter


Dear Daughter
Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I received a copy of Dear Daughter from the publishers in return for an honest review.

This is a hard one to review without giving spoilers but I will do my best :)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, infact I ended up sat reading all night and finished just as my alarm went off in the morning. It wasn't the mystery or the twists or anything like that that kept me reading all night, it was the pure readability of the writing style. The story was told from the main character Jane Jenkins point of view, her voice and way of telling her story was engrossing and a pleasure to read. It flowed perfectly from page to page and I just had to keep reading.


The character of Jane Jenkins was very well developed, as were all the other characters. Jane is a sassy, sarcastic, witty mean girl and a lot of fun, her attitude and comments throughout the book had me chuckling. While there wasn't much tension in the story, it had secrets and mysteries to unravel, which to be honest I didn't find myself trying to work out as I was really just so engrossed in enjoying the way the story was told.

The ending of the book is somewhat open ended, while you are given a kind of closure to the story there is still a question of what happens next. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of ending in book but for this one it works and it puts a nice twist onto the ending that wraps the story up nicely.

This I believe is Elizabeth Little's debut novel, which I would never have believed had I not been informed of the fact. I am keen to see what she comes up with next.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment