Sunday 26 October 2014

Review: The Unearthed


The Unearthed
The Unearthed by Evan Ronan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The Unearthed from the author in return for an honest review.

The premise of this one really intrigued me, I do love a good haunting or supernatural story. This read in a way like an episode of a supernatural investigation series that you would watch on TV. You have the Rosselli family living in the Moriarty house. A house where previously there had been a massacre and only the youngest child of the family survived. Then we have Tim and Eddie McCloskey and their team of local ghost hunters, whom the Rosselli's call in for help.

The characters in this book are very well developed, they each have their own story and background and are all weaved together in a way that makes for a good story. There was one thing that kind of irked me, the author has inserted himself in the story as a local author who has been working on writing a book about the massacre. The group contacts him for some information to help them with their investigation. Moira one of the investigation team, who seems to be the female version of that single male who objectifies women that you find in many books/films etc, which annoyed the hell out of me. I mean cmon, she's supposed to be shy but she's looking at every male she meets like he's her last meal or she's on heat. I didn't see a point to her behaving that way at all, it felt like she was thrown in with this trait because most of the characters were male and this is how it would work if it was the other way around. Anyway, back to what I was saying, Moira sees Evan and thinks to herself if only he were 5 years younger. I'm not sure why the author would do this because it does portray a bit of ego when reading it and I found myself feeling embarrassed for him knowing that others would probably come to the same conclusion.

The story centers around the characters and their reactions more than it does on the actual haunting, it's a look at their lives and how they react, cope and deal with the situations they are placed in. The actual haunting itself and events that take place in the house are not really a big part of the tale and didn't create the creepy atmosphere I was hoping for. However, it was a good story, I enjoyed the characters and The Unearthed was a pretty good paranormal thriller. I would have liked a few more chills and haunting atmosphere to it but I would definitely read more from this author.

I would rate this around 3.5 stars but rounded up to 4 as there is no half stars.



Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | BookLikes | Goodreads



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment