Wednesday 29 October 2014

Review: Exorcist Road


Exorcist Road
Exorcist Road by Jonathan Janz

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




I received a copy of Exorcist Road from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I was hooked on this one right from the first few pages. I didn't want it to finish, I kept putting it down to try and put off the inevitable but I was picking it right back up again, I just couldn't help myself.

It's hard to read a story about exorcism without thinking about The Exorcist by William Blattey, it's the one that all others have to compete with and be compared to and I have to admit I found myself doing the same when I started the book. I wasn't comparing it for long though, all thoughts of comparison flew out the window and I was drawn in completely. Exorcist Road may be a story about exorcism but it also has an underlying mystery which gives it something original, as a result not only are you focused on the possession but you're also trying to pick up on clues to try and solve the mystery. Someone is torturing and killing 16 year old girls and it is believed to be the young boy possessed, but is it?

The story is told by the voice of Father Crowder and is done very well. I was both captivated and horrified by his account, his voice draws you in and holds your attention as he recounts his experience of that awful night. The characters are well developed, they each have have their own demons to fight in the face of the true demon, one who thrives on using their personal demons against them.

I read this book in one sitting, just when I thought I knew the answers and where it was going, the twists and turns got me every time. It was gruesome, fascinating, gory and disturbing and it kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. I think this may be a new addition to my favourites of 2014 shelf and I really hope there will be more to come for Father Crowder!


Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | BookLikes | Goodreads



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment