Wednesday 17 February 2016

Review: Unseemly by Jason Parent



Unseemly - Jason  Parent

 Unseemly by Jason Parent

My Rating:


I had the pleasure of beta reading Unseemly and was gifted a copy of the book after release by the author.

What stood out the most for me in Unseemly was the setting, imagery and storytelling. I could easily visualise the scenes and the environment, and the atmosphere and tension really drew me into the story. You get the sense almost right from the outset that something is not right and you think you know what is ahead but things are certainly not what they seem to be, or anywhere near what you could have imagined.

The use of the lore and legend of the sĂ­dhe really captures the imagination and creates a magical aspect to the story that kind of lulls you into a false sense of security. What you imagine is going to happen is nowhere near the horrific situation the characters find themselves in. The author creates twists and turns that pull the rug out from under your feet and shows that not all fairytales have a happy ending.

I'm a huge fan of horror and of Scottish lore, legend and fairytales so this was a perfect mix for me.

Unseemly is storytelling at it's best.
Highly recommended.



Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Leafmarks


No comments:

Post a Comment