Thursday 28 August 2014

Review: The Hawley Book of the Dead


The Hawley Book of the Dead
The Hawley Book of the Dead by @Chrysler Szarlan

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I received a copy of The Hawley Book of the Dead from the publisher in return for an honest review.

"In the tradition of The Night Circus and A Discovery of Witches, The Hawley Book of the Dead is the kind of novel that makes you believe that magic really exists."

As you can see from the statement above taken from the blurb of this book, it's been compared to a Discovery of Witches, a book I enjoyed very much. I don't agree with that at all, the only comparison I would say it has is the fact they are both stories built around a book. It's also a story about witches but there's no spells involved and there's not much magic in it at all, it's more a hint at magic.

This book didn't hold my attention at all, I kept putting it down. I was reading and reading and yet nothing was actually happening. It was like someone had taken a shorter story and fluffed it and dragged it out over way too many pages. It wasn't till 76% that the book even turned up and after that it wasn't until 92% that it felt like something really started to happen to make it interesting.

I was so frustrated at how slow and dragged out this story was, that I wanted to put it down and move onto something else. Only pure determination kept me reading this one to the end.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
You can also find me on: BookLikes



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment