Sunday 31 August 2014

Review: When Mockingbirds Sing


When Mockingbirds Sing
When Mockingbirds Sing by Billy Coffey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




I received a copy of When Mockingbirds Sing from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I have only read a few books in the Christian Fiction genre, I tend to find myself shaking my head when the author starts to use the book as a way of pushing their beliefs on the reader, which thankfully this book didn't do. I'm not a religious person, I have always believed that going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a mechanic. I'll spare you my views on religions as that has nothing to do with the book. I just wanted to mention the above because despite my own beliefs, or non belief as far as religion goes, it had no negative effect on my experience reading this book

I didn't know what genre this book was in as it was the cover that initially drew me and the blurb piqued my interest further. When I then had a quick look at the ratings before requesting it, I noticed the genre and decided I would take a chance despite my previous experiences. I'm really glad that I did.

Leah is a shy withdrawn 9 year old girl with a stutter, she has an imaginary friend she calls The Rainbow Man. The Rainbow Man sings to Leah and she paints the pictures in his songs, pictures that tell of things to come. What ensues is a roller-coaster of belief and disbelief, a town divided, a story of faith, judgement, guilt, and forgiveness. Will the town believe before the storm hits, a storm so big that it may wipe their little town from the map?

I can't praise this book enough, the main character Leah is such a sweet little girl that you can't help but feel for. You just want to shake all the other characters and make them believe, to have them open their hearts to this little girls plight and story.

And poor Barney, he's had such a hard life. His store isn't making money, his wife stuck in a wheelchair from a stroke, he has bills to pay and a wife to care for. Can he believe in the promise of a little girl who tells him everything is going to be fine, he just has to believe.

Leahs dad isn't a religious person, he knows the negative side of religion, he's seen what kind of torture a person will live with because of their beliefs. Can he let go of his doubts for the daughter he loves, can he believe in something he can't see but that his daughter tells him is there?

There are so many great characters in this story. The emotion, descriptions, atmosphere and details in the book bring the town, the people and the story to life. The story seems a little slow to start but before long you are drawn in and find yourself engrossed in the tale and needing to know more.

I thoroughly enjoyed When Mockingbirds Sing and I will definitely be reading more from Billy Coffey.


There is a hint at another story, of something else that happened in the town of Mattingly before this story takes place, which is covered in the next book The Devil Walks in Mattingly.

Also a new book due out soon In the Heart of the Dark Wood, which continues 2 years on from When Mockingbirds Sing and tells the tale of Leahs friend Allie.



Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
You can also find me on: BookLikes



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment