Saturday 3 December 2016

Review: You by Caroline Kepnes



You - Caroline Kepnes

You by Caroline Kepnes

Review:

I'm rather late to the party with this one. I've been putting off reading it for a long time because of all the hype surrounding it. I try to avoid books that everyone raves about as I find that the bar gets set so high that I usually end up rather disappointed in the end, but I have finally bitten the bullet and decided it was time to give it a read.

Was I disappointed? I would have to say yes, and no. I'm honestly not sure how to describe my feelings for this one. The writing style really drew me into the story. The way the author pulled me into the complex and twisted mind of Joe, who was obviously off his trolley, but still managed to make him relatable, and dare I say it likeable, was extremely well done. Being inside Joe's head was disturbing and creepy, yet I found myself liking him despite his actions.

I found Joe to be a very believable character for the most part, however I struggled with the reality of his actions at times. I can understand how many of the smaller things didn't draw attention or suspicion, but the way he managed to get away with some of the more serious events without setting off any alarm bells just didn't sit right with me. I would have liked to have seen him questioned in regards to some of the more serious events that he carried out. Not necessarily changing the storyline, but just to add another layer of interest and tension. It would have been really interesting to see how he would cope with the suspicion and how he would continue without drawing more attention to himself, but at the same time have the story continue along the same path that it did.

I did enjoy it and I would recommend it, but I do feel that it was drawn out and slow paced in places.


Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes


No comments:

Post a Comment