Thursday 24 November 2016

Review: I See You by Clare Mackintosh



I See You - Clare Mackintosh

I See You by Clare Mackintosh

My Rating:

Having previously read Clare Macintosh's debut novel and been completely blown away by it, I was itching to get my hands on this book. Every bookshop I tried was completely sold out, but fortunately the last shop I tried managed to find a copy hidden in the back of the store. If some poor soul had stashed it for themselves then they're out of luck, it's mine now!

I have mixed feelings about this book. I did enjoy it and I flew through it in no time at all, but it didn't have the same impact as I Let You Go. I think perhaps I was all hyped up and preparing myself for a massive twist that would leave me reeling like I experienced with I Let You Go, and as a result maybe my expectations were too high.

Even though I found I See You to be a page turner and it drew me in right from the beginning, I feel there was something missing. I couldn't connect with the main character, I didn't find her engaging and there was nothing appealing or likeable about her. At times she felt rather dull and old for her age, yet at other times she came across as overly needy and somewhat childish.

On the other hand, there was something unputdownable about the book. The sections told from the perspective of the stalker were great and the scenes on the underground were done well. It's scary how easy it is for someone to watch you in this way and I found myself being drawn into the whole experience. It could happen to anyone and it's frightening to realise how unaware we could potentially be of someone watching, waiting, learning our daily routines and habits etc. It really brings to the forefront how vulnerable we are as individuals and why we should pay more attention to, and be more aware of, our surroundings and those around us.

All in all, I liked the concept and I found it to be enjoyable at the time of reading. However, the ending felt rushed and I had already worked out who the guilty party was before the reveal. The very last twist did come as a surprise, but I don't know if I liked it, it felt like it was thrown in purely for the shock factor.



Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes

No comments:

Post a Comment