Tuesday 16 September 2014

Review: Saving Grace Devine


Saving Grace Devine
Saving Grace Devine by Catherine Cavendish

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I received a copy of Saving Grace Devine from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I'm always on the look out for a good ghost story and Saving Grace Devine turned out to be just that. If however, it's a scary hair standing up on the back of your neck ghost story you are after, I didn't feel that with this book. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I flew through the pages but it didn't have me checking the corners of the room or anything.

Saving Grace Devine begins it's tale in present time, where after losing her current job, the main character Alex goes on a trip with her husband. Her husband thinks she needs a break because of the stress of losing her job, but Alex is kind of haunted and her ghost, which only she can see, has made another appearance. While on their break Alex goes back in time to 1912 on a sort of impromptu quest in order to help another ghost called Grace who she met while there. It all sounds kinda huh? when reading that I know, but it actually all fits together well and makes a lot more sense when reading the story.

The plot held my attention and I really enjoyed the attention to detail in the time period Alex was transported back to. What I did find frustrating though was the relationship she had with her husband, he was so closed off to what she was experiencing, to the point that she couldn't even broach the subject with him and had to hide it. That just didn't feel right to me, they were close, they obviously had a great relationship and it was hard for me to believe that he wouldn't at least try to understand or believe.

All in all, it was a good read and the characters were believable for the most part. The ending though felt a little abrupt and sudden, it feels like there is more of the story to be told.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
You can also find me on: BookLikes



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment