Thursday 8 January 2015

Review: The Girl on the Train


The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I received a copy of The Girl on the Train from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Rachel gets the same train everyday and everyday she travels the same route, she sees the same houses, with the same occupants and to pass the time she creates stories of what their lives must be like. Until one day something is different, something has changed and she's no longer just the girl on the train. Rachel gets caught up in the lives of these people she's created whole stories for in her head and the impact it has on her and the people she has just watched up until now, is drastic.

I enjoyed how the story was told from the three different perspectives of the female characters: Rachel, Meghan and Anna. The characters are not particularly likeable and I found myself at times feeling frustrated with how much they wallowed, complained and just generally felt sorry for themselves, but at the same time I just couldn't look away.

The mystery aspect of the plot is done very well and the suspicion moves around all the different characters. The suspense and character portrayal was executed well and it keeps you guessing and trying to work out and look for clues to what is going on underneath the surface. Although I did work out who was to blame before it was revealed, the twists and turns kept changing direction, so I could never really be sure just exactly where the plot was going to lead and at who's feet the blame would finally land until it was revealed.

The Girl on the Train is a dark tale that shows how deep an individuals personal struggles can go and what effect they have on their daily lives and those around them. While it's not a 5 star read for me, it really grabbed my attention and I flew through the pages and finished it in one night.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | Goodreads | Leafmarks




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment